Thursday, July 22, 2010

Working on coming home!!!

Well, things seem to be getting better every day. Natalie still has her chest tube, but we are working on getting her feeding again. They say after babies have heart surgery they have a difficult time with feedings. So right now she is eating every 3 hours and trying to eat from the bottle every other feeding. The other feedings they give her through the feeding tube. Which we might have to go home doing. I really would rather have her eating everything from the bottle, but they say that may take weeks to get to that point. And her little body can't handle too much with all that she has been through these last few weeks. Eating takes a lot out of these little ones so we have to do things slowly.

Another good thing is that Natalie is awake a lot more. Before her surgery she was always so sleepy because her little heart was beating so hard that it made her very fatigue. But now it is so fun because when I go to the hospital she always is bright eyed and will be awake for hours. She also loves to be held. I am still pumping even though she has to be on a fat free formula for another 4weeks to help her not accumulate more fluid around her lungs. So when I need to pump I put her back in her bed and she will just cry until I pick her up again. And her little cry is music to my ears. With this heart surgery there was a risk that it could paralyze her vocal cords. And how we know with our little Clint that is not a fun thing to deal with. Before she went into surgery I made sure the surgeon knew how nerves I was for that and I prayed with all my heart that it wouldn't happen. I know Natalie will have a lot of things she will have to overcome and I didn't want a paralyzed vocal to be another. So when they took out her breathing tube she really didn't have a cry. But after a few days I went to the hospital and I heard a baby crying and it was my baby. I can't tell you how wonderful that cry was for me to hear. And her cry is the cutest thing ever!

So they say once they pull the chest tube out they will wait 1-2 days and make sure no other fluid has accumulated and if not we could be going home!! Oh, what wonderful words to hear. It has been really hard for us to be apart. Mason has been up in Logan and comes down for the weekends. And the kids and I have been living at my moms so I could be closer. So it will be so nice to be able to all be under one roof again. And to hold my baby as much as I want.

But I have to say we have been very blessed. We have such an amazing family and friends that have helped us out so much. We couldn't do it with out all of you and all your prays. Natalie is such a blessing to us. She is a miracle, despite all the statistics and what all the doctors were saying she made it and is still proving that she is a little fighter and she won't give up. Oh how this little one has changed my view on everything. She is such a sweet little baby and I feel very blessed to have her in my life. Even though at times I feel I am very inadequate to be her mother, I feel so grateful the Lord has entrusted me with such a special little spirit. And hope and pray I can be the mother I need to be to help her through her life. I want you all to know we feel your prayers, I know that is why Natalie is here with us today and that is how we make it through each day.

3 comments:

Jessie, Garan, and Sammy said...

Tara I'm so glad that you are keeping us updated through this blog about Natalie. We are praying for you and your family. You are amazing!

Becky G said...

Tara, Katie Johnson told me about this blog and I'm so glad I am able to see pictures of your cute baby! It's nice to read your posts Your family is so strong! We wish you the best and hope that you can come home soon. Take Care, Becky Graves

Brian and Kristy said...

Oh my goodness, I love that girl so much already! I can't wait to see her again. Love you guys!